Monday, December 18, 2017

Help vs. Advice

There's quite a lot I need in my life.
Some of it, you can give me.
Some of it, you know someone who can.
And one of it has to come from God.

Sometimes, I need help.
If I come to you with a request for help,
And it's not something you can do for me,
Saying "I'm sorry I can't help you with that"
Is fine.
Is good.
Is even helpful.
Honesty helps.

Sometimes, I need advice.
If I come to you for advice,
And it's not advice you can provide
Saying "I can't help you with that"
Is fine.
Is good.
Is even helpful.
Honesty helps.

But if I come to you for help
And don't ask for advice
Please don't offer it.
It hurts.
It makes me feel like you don't trust me.
Trust my judgement.

So just stop.
Please.

And when you condition your help
On me going against the advice
And professional recommendation of my treatment team
Not only do you sound dumb
And unhelpful
But I begin to question
Whose best interest you have in mind-
Is it mine
Or your ego's?

1 comment:

  1. I suspect you are coming from a totally different place, but man, this reminds me of parenting a special needs kid. Very good.

    ReplyDelete

c'mon, i know you're reading this! what do you think?