Saturday, January 29, 2022

Garden (5/14/2019)

 I stand at the entrance of the garden with my eyes closed, I want to savor every minute of the experience, for tomorrow, I will be in another time and space, and these moments in this garden will be gone for good. I removed my socks and shoes before entering, so my entire being could feel the essence of this wonderful place.

I step carefully onto the warm stone path. I can feel the sun shining on my face, but the stone is still cool from last night's rain. The stones are smooth, and I sit down carefully. Sliding cautiously to my right, my arm bumps gently into the low stone barrier that keeps the overflow contained. I reach out carefully, touching the ridged leaves and feeling their shape, caressing the soft flower petals, and noticing the prickly grass below.

I can no longer contain myself. I MUST open my eyes. I stand and slowly turn, so I can see the whole garden. There is a brilliant array of color, and the dazzling sunshine hurts my eyes for just a short moment. I don't have enough plant knowledge to name the flowers around me, but I am in awe of the variety and how magnificent they all are-whites and pinks, reds and yellows...in the distance, I can see a hint of purple, to my left, fuchsia. And the greens! So many shades and hues, I can hardly take them all in.

I walk a little further in, and kneel to smell the flowers. Some smell a little bitter, but most have the sweetest aromas. I close my eyes again to regain focus. There is a songbird hidden somewhere nearby, I hear its song, light and sweet. I feel the breeze, and hear the leaves rustling.

I look for some honeysuckle, hoping to taste its sweetness. I can't find any. It's time to leave, and I am slightly saddened, but my heart is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment

c'mon, i know you're reading this! what do you think?